- Published: 15 May 2012
- In Frontpage
- Hits: 5581
The Classic is a free summer-long fishing and photo contest featuring all of the National Marine Sanctuaries across the United States, including Hawaii.
Twenty Guy Harvey t-shirts will be given to the first 20 photos submitted each week. Each week, one photo will be selected by judges at The Sportfishing Conservancy to win the weekly prize. The weekly photo winner will be selected by the photo that best represents the theme of the Sanctuary Classic (kids fishing, family fishing, etc.)
Eight $500 Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation scholarships will be awarded based on how well photos show all or a combination of: Kids Fishing, Kids and Family Values, Kids in the Outdoors, Kids in the Sanctuaries and Kids’ Conservation.
Most (98 percent) of National Marine Sanctuary waters are open to recreational fishing and provide an incredible outdoors experience. NOAA Fisheries and NOAA Sanctuaries support sustainable recreational fishing. The "Classic" caters to a broad spectrum of recreational fishing enthusiasts and provides conservation and ethical angling guidelines for the casual angler
While the primary purpose of the National Marine Sanctuary System is to protect the resources of these areas, their legislation also calls for allowing compatible uses which includes all types of recreation.
Last year NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuaries supported 50,000 jobs and more than $4 billion in local economies. These places continue to build stronger communities, support local economies and maintain coastal cultures - true American treasures.
A Summer-long Recreational Fishing and Photo Contest
• Free entry into “Classic”
• Each participant must agree to conservation guidelines and follow all federal, state and local regulations
• Participants enter and submit photos online
• Catch and Release encouraged
• Register online/ Enter with submission of fish photos
• Weekly prizes awarded from June 7 through September 1.
• First 20 photos submitted each week will win a Guy Harvey t-shirt
• 4 Grand Prizes ($1,000 Scholarships) – will be judged for “best” photos with bonus points for:
• Kids/Family fishing
• Fish Released
• The “Classic” Runs Summer long
• Kick-Off Events Saturday National Oceans Week
• Final day is Sept.1. No photos submitted after Aug. 25.
The 2014 National Marine Sanctuaries Classic helps demonstrate:
• NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuaries provide a healthful environment for kids and an incredible link to the outdoors
• NOAA Sanctuaries are open to and support sustainable recreational fishing
• NOAA Fisheries – manages / supports recreational fishing
• The “Classic” illustrates the benefits of light touch recreational fishing
• The “Classic” targets and caters to a broader, more casual recreational fishing base
• The “Classic” provides conservation guidelines to casual angler audience