Sanctuary Classic Overview
While the primary purpose of the National Marine Sanctuary System is to protect the resources of these areas, their legislation also calls for allowing compatible uses which includes all types of recreation.
Last year NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuaries supported 50,000 jobs and more than $4 billion in local economies. These places continue to build stronger communities, support local economies and maintain coastal cultures - true American treasures.
A Summer-long Recreational Fishing and Photo Contest
• Free entry into “Classic”
• Each participant must agree to conservation guidelines and follow all federal, state and local regulations
• Participants enter and submit photos online
• Catch and Release encouraged
• Register online/ Enter with submission of fish photos
• Weekly prizes awarded from July 4 through September 7, 2015.
• 13 Grand Prizes ($1000 Scholarships) – will be judged for “best” photos based on the criteria above.
• The “Classic” Runs Summer long
The 2015 Sanctuary Classic helps demonstrate:
• NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuaries provide a healthful environment for kids and an incredible link to the outdoors
• NOAA Sanctuaries are open to and support sustainable recreational fishing
• NOAA Fisheries – manages / supports recreational fishing
• The “Classic” illustrates the benefits of light touch recreational fishing
• The “Classic” targets and caters to a broader, more casual recreational fishing base
• The “Classic” provides conservation guidelines to casual angler audience